Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kids have built-in clocks

Time and again I have been re-assured that kids have built-in clocks that tell them exactly what time it is. I could imagine, they have a neat digital clock inside their lungs that alarms them of events , something like " Ring!..Ring!.. time for snacks", you get the picture?

Right from the day of the birth, they know when its 2:30 AM and mom is sleeping soundly and "Ring!..Ring!...wake up mom for a quick feed" or when its 2 minutes past a diaper change and "Ring!..Ring! Time to poo!" till their toddler days when its 6:30 PM and "Ring!..Ring! Time for the Tom & Jerry show". They don't need any clocks to look up; toddlers can't even read clocks. Their inter-lung-digital-alarm clocks support them all the time. I am quite amazed how these kids know exactly what time of the day it is. And so far, I have always maintained a bitter taste for these inter-lung-digital-alarm clocks, I see them as tools the kids use for Anti-Mom activities.

But recently I was surprised to see that my toddler has finally put them for a cute cause. One fine day, Pratham requested that I wake him up before I leave for office (He is usually asleep while I leave for office). I didn't know the reason for his request, when I questioned him he said, "Oh, I just want to see you before you leave for office!" . Such cute/sweet intentions this fellow has! I assured him I will wake him up just before I left for office, however deep in my mind I was thinking "There is no way I am going to disturb him from his less than 9-hrs sleep".

So the next morning I was gearing up to leave for office, Pratham was deep in sleep. As I gathered my stuff and started to move, I heard Pratham call me out "Mummy" with a smile!
He woke up on his own, and waived me good-bye. Bliss! Surprise!

...and I know exactly which clock he used to set his alarm!

No comments:

IndiBlogger - Where Indian Blogs Meet